Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dia de Amor y Amistad

There is an interesting relationship I have with Mexico City. I know it's a fabulous city, with plenty to do and wonderful things to see, however, since this is where my friends and family are, and I am a single gal, it's much harder to traipse around on my own. Needless to say, I have yet to completely warm up to the city, and get out as much as I can.

Last week I spent about 4 days in a community in the southernmost, and biggest I think, delegation of Mexico City. It took about 2 hrs by bus to climb up to this beautiful little mountain village where there are views of volcanoes and the stretch of the whole city. It's called Milpa Alta, and the people there are as wonderful as the views. I had a very relaxing couple days with a friend enjoying the tranquility and drinking a fermented beverage called "pulque". Pulque is made form the agave, like tequila, but pulque is the fermented sap of the agave. It is milky, and has a particular odor that can be unsettling (it's cultures!) but it is supremely relaxing, and grows on you.

Ceck out some cute kids and a street in Milpa Alta with the snow capped volcano in the background!




Where did those kids come from?

Yesterday I was at a pool party for a friend of a friend. We all swam, ate, drank, and played all day. To add to the things that Mexico does well, besides food, and markets: the children! Let me tell you, Mexican kids are so precious. We all played in the pool and ran around the large yard all day. The friends of my friend, are these wonderful gals who run a women's clinic here in Cuernavaca (remember the land of eternal spring?). I spent a long time talking to a midwife about health, herbs, and strength. It's interesting the social structures here. The gender roles and identity are much much different, and although I anticipated it, it's very different to feel it, almost taste the role of "female" that I don't particularly identify with. But I reckon the "female" blog will come at a different point. Right now it's just refreshing to be in touch with women who are helping and empowering other women.

I must pause my adventure narrative to send saludos to some of my women back in the states.
The lady that started it all for me, Mamí, the strongest and most caring woman I know, it wasn't until I came to her country that I truly appreciated her independence and resilience, she's a superhero! Kim burns brighter, than stars, from near and far, she's got magic from her soul down to her toes, tap away honey. Kbird, my very dear mountain princess beginning her nest, felicidades! Ivanita la mas bonita, the whirlwind of energy who's in love with the world, also starting her family-besos! Anna, grace and beauty, she floats on air, parties like a rockstar, and cooks up magically delicious things! Sheri and Kristin, a complete pair, a wonderful example of loving partners, independence, strength and style! Angela, our teenage years were filled with adventures and music rock on! Michele Leonard, my first friend in Santa Cruz, her eyes smile and her heart is bigger than "the cement ship". Lovely Rita, helped me navigate retail, and provided strength, wisdom, and guidance. Larissa, light and beauty, we've only kicked a few times, but you stole a piece of my heart. Bebe Grill, sister, kicks ass, she's got the whole package and not afraid to use it. Which leads me to her wonderful mother, a lady of immense beauty, grace, style, Judith Jensen a woman full of love and strength that provided me with so much love and support. Teresa! although she will not read this, mother bear, a woman with the stars in her eyes and strength like an oak tree. To my teachers, my friends, my family, the people that give me smiles, hugs, and inspiration. Debra Bei, Dr. Omosupe, Katherine McBride, all the women who are inspirations to us all. It is the strength of these women that motivate and inspire us to take on the world. Thank you.

Now it's Valentines day, or as they say here "The day of Friendship and Love", and it's also carnaval in a nearby village by the name of Tepotzlan. Let's see how rowdy we can all get before Lent!


1 comment: